Wednesday, March 14, 2012

And still more recovery

It seems the doc was onto something when he suggested I switch to eyedrops without preservatives as today is the first day I have not needed to use them as often. In fact, the broken blood vessels in my eye are looking not quite as dark as they were. I'm still not thrilled with my vision in the right eye, even though it is continuing to improve. I can read distant things much better but they are not as clear as I would like. Perhaps having an exceptional left eye has set me up for disappointment? (It is 20/15) I will see the doc again on Friday and see what he has to say. I have been prepared for the fact that I might need a correction after three months, but that was because of the probability of regression. We shall see.

I still want to talk a little bit about the rest of my surgery day, if for no other reason than to get the word out about how many people were helpful to me, both at LasikMD and The Best Western Northgate Nanaimo. ;)

The cab driver took me to the door then helped me in with my bags. The desk supervisor immediately relieved me of my bags and stored them behind the desk while assuring me that they were working on my room. I thanked her sincerely, being happy to have a quiet room available to me soon. I really just wanted to be alone in the dark and quiet. I think I waited maybe 10-15 minutes because I was in my room by 10:30. Once again, the manager carried my bags for me. I was so thankful for the help as my vision was still very blurry in my right eye. Once I was in my room, I locked the door, turned on the AC for white noise and got ready for bed. I actually changed into my jammies and set up a bottle of water and my drops by the bed. I set my alarm for the next dose. I did sleep off and on and, while I heard a bit of vacuum cleaner noise, it was otherwise very quiet. My alarm woke me up every hour and I administered my antibiotic and steroid drops five minutes apart followed by my steroids. I got up to pee each time then collapsed back to sleep. That's pretty much how my day looked. When I felt a little sore in the early afternoon, I took the Tylenol3s I had packed in my bag (the military gives them out like candy and we always had them when dh was in) and went back to sleep. I finally got up and dressed to go to the pub about 4:30. My visions was still less than great and I went everywhere with my sunglasses which made me feel terribly conspicuous, but the girl in the pub was cool about it and asked lots of questions about the procedure. After dinner, I collapsed in bed to start the cycle over again. When I awoke at 8:45 PM and realized I had missed my alarm by half an hour, I took my last dose and went to sleep for the night. Well, kind of. I kept waking up all night long to phantom alarms, but that's a whole other story...

No comments:

Post a Comment